Template Faerie

How to Enlarge Blogger's HTML Editor for Easier Editing

Published on Wednesday, July 28, 2010
By Sarah Payne
Update (07/22/12): This script works only for the old Blogger dashboard. I haven't yet been able to create something that works consistently for the new dashboard.

I don't normally get annoyed with Blogger, and when I do, it's usually because I did something without realizing and don't want to blame myself. However, one thing about Blogger that drives me crazy is the HTML editor. Sure, it's great because it does what it's supposed to do: it allows me to customize my blog. But I hate the tiny textarea. I've always hoped that Blogger would someday make it bigger, or allow it to be expandable. Well, I got impatient. So I decided to end my frustration and take matters into my own hands.

As a fan of Firefox, I have several add-ons I use occasionally, but there's one that I never really took the time to learn about (until now, that is), and that add-on is Greasemonkey. Maybe I was too lazy to learn how to use it… I don't know. I guess I thought it was complicated. I'm not sure what made me change my mind, but I decided to read the manual and it suddenly hit me: “Wow, this is easy!”.

But enough with the chatter. I'll get right to the point. I wrote a script for Greasemonkey that enlarges the editor textarea. I also moved the Clear Edits, Preview, and Save buttons over to the right of the page and gave them a fixed position, so they'll always stay in the same position of the page, even when you scroll. You can see the results below:

Before
After

How to Install

It's really easy to install the script. Just follow these steps.

Instructions for Firefox Users

1. Download Greasemonkey.

2. Download the user script for enlarging the HTML editor and you will see a window pop up that looks something like this:


3. Click the Install button and the script will immediately be installed. You can now view the results in the Edit HTML page in Blogger.

Instructions for Other Browsers

It's actually possible to run Greasemonkey scripts on other browsers too! Check out this article to find out how: Run Greasemonkey User Scripts in IE, Opera, and Safari.


Please leave your comments below and tell me what you think of this script. Do you find it useful? Is there something you think should be changed that would improve it? What kind of scripts would you like to see in the future?

To find out more about Greasemonkey, visit these sites:

Wikipedia article on Greasemonkey
Greasemonkey's blog
Find more scripts on Userscripts.org

About the Author

I'm Sarah Payne, the author of this blog. I'm an amateur writer and template designer, an avid Blogger-user, and a reptile lover. One way or another, I ended up creating TF to show people that blogs don't have to be ugly and to share my unavoidably opinionated rants. You can also find me on Twitter and Google+.