Template Faerie

3 Things I Think Blogger Should Change

Published on Thursday, December 30, 2010
By Sarah Payne
Why is it out of all the applications I use and websites I visit, I can always find something to complain about? Could it be true that all these things are never done as well as they should be, or am I just being too critical? I tend to think it's the latter, but who said criticism was a bad thing? Without it, nothing would improve. Today is the rare occasion of when I complain about Blogger. I like Blogger, not only because it got me into blogging such-and-such many years ago, but because it makes blogging easy while not limiting me too much. But Blogger has it's flaws.

1. Navigation

Blogger uses tabs and sub-tabs at the top of the page that, as most tabs do, allow me to navigate between different sections, such as Posting, Comments, and Design. I don't like this. Tabs usually work well for websites, but for a blogging platform, it takes too long to get to where I want to go. Wordpress has better navigation. All the links are on the sidebar, and by clicking on the arrow next to a section, I can view all the subsections without having to load more pages than necessary. I definitely think that Blogger needs something similar.

2. Advanced Editing

I understand that Blogger is trying to make things easier and simpler for beginners, but I think in the process, they are straying from developing more advanced features for advanced bloggers. Blogger has many features that are great for beginners, but I hardly touch these. They aren't bad, they just aren't as full-featured as they could be. This is probably one of the reasons why some people believe Blogger isn't right for you if you're "serious" about blogging. Blogger, actually, is very customizable when it comes to editing your template, but in all the time I've been blogging, this feature has never been improved.

I wish the Edit HTML page had a bigger text box (though I have my own fix for that), more specific error messages, and was like a real HTML editor, with numbered lines and colored text.

3. Commenting

Perhaps if the comment form wasn't so ugly and difficult to use, and if Blogger allowed me to customize it, post threaded replies, and edit comments, I wouldn't have switched to Disqus. While Disqus isn't as customizable as I'd like, it makes commenting simple. See the difference:

The default comment form

The Disqus comment form

EDIT: I now use IntenseDebate as my commenting system. Read my Why You Shouldn't Use Disqus Comments article to find out why.

Every blogging service has its flaws, but these listed in this post are only minor. None of these things would make me want to stop using Blogger. Blogger is always looking for ways to improve their service and they have already made some great changes. With 2011 right around the corner, I'm sure they're already making plans.

That's all I have to complain about today, but I might find more to say tomorrow. In the meantime, post your rant as a comment below, and let me know what you think Blogger should change.

Image credit: Iconspedia.com

About the Author

I'm Sarah Payne, the author of this blog. I'm an amateur writer and template designer, an avid Blogger-user, and a reptile lover. One way or another, I ended up creating TF to show people that blogs don't have to be ugly and to share my unavoidably opinionated rants. You can also find me on Twitter and Google+.