Template Faerie

Why I Chose to Use Blogger

Published on Tuesday, February 22, 2011
By Sarah Payne
I was originally going to call this post "Why Blogger is Best". But I have since realized that not only would that be an extremely controversial topic (not that that's a bad thing), but also that Blogger really isn't the best. "So," you may ask, "are you finally realizing that Wordpress is the better platform?" No, because Wordpress isn't better. I'm only saying that all the people who say Blogger is best—and the people saying Wordpress is best too—are wrong. They are only giving their opinions.

So, if you're trying to decide which blogging platform to use, I'm not going to tell you which one I think is best, because that won't be any use to you. Instead, here are four of my best reasons why I chose to use Blogger over any other option.

It's free

While there are other blogging platforms that can be used for free, Blogger offers the most options. Because my blog is hosted by Blogger, the only time I'll ever have to spend money on it is if I decide to use a custom domain name, otherwise it will be a subdomain of blogspot.com (for example, blogname.blogspot.com). Some people feel safer with self-hosting, but I don't mind Blogger hosting Template Faerie, so why pay for something when I can get it for free?

It's simple, but versatile

Blogger is made for both beginning and advanced users. The Template Designer makes it easy for me to change my template and customize it with only a few clicks, and I can view my changes instantly with the real-time preview. But I don't use the Template Designer much more than to make small changes to the text and colors, because I prefer to play with the code and create a custom template using the Edit HTML feature. I would never use Blogger if it didn't come with that feature!

It's Google

Because Blogger is a Google thing, they are always adding and updating features to make it better. I always keep a close eye on Blogger Buzz so I won't miss out on anything new. It also integrates well with their other services, such as Google Friend Connect, Feedburner, Google Analytics, and probably many others that I've forgotten to mention.

It's reliable

Royal Pingdom tested five blogging services over a two month period (October 15 - December 15, 2010), and they saw that during that time, Tumblr was the most unreliable with 47.5 hours of downtime, followed by Posterous with 2.1 hours, Typepad with 0.2 hours, Wordpress with 0.1 hours, and Blogger ranked the most reliable with zero hours of downtime. I can also say that for as long as I've used Blogger consistently (I think it has been over 2 years), I only remember one time when Blogger was having trouble.

These four reasons sum up why I'm such a fan of Blogger. Of course, Blogger has its problems, but it's always improving. It works great for what I need to do, and I think it's great for almost any sort of blogger.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Why did you choose to use Blogger? Why did you choose not to use Blogger? What are your likes and dislikes? Leave your comment below!

About the Author

I'm Sarah Payne, the author of this blog. I'm an amateur writer and template designer, an avid Blogger-user, and a reptile lover. One way or another, I ended up creating TF to show people that blogs don't have to be ugly and to share my unavoidably opinionated rants. You can also find me on Twitter and Google+.